Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Smart Sugar Fixes

Apparently, the way food is packaged can affect how much of it you'll eat, according to an October 2008 report in Family Circle Magazine. It says that people will eat individually wrapped items, such as chocolates, more slowly than "naked" ones.

Food with wrappers lets you physically see how much you consume, and may make you pause and think before adding to your pile of wrappers.

This is something to think about next time you're looking for something that will satisfy your sweet tooth. It is a noble thing to think that you'll buy the large bag of M&M's, telling yourself that you'll only have a few a day. But you may end up consuming half the bag before you know it. I've done this plenty of times. This is especially true if you're snacking in front of the TV (a no-no if you're trying to lose weight!). If you must have your chocolate fix, try sticking with individually wrapped ones instead. Grab one or two, and put the rest up high and out of sight.

You could even toss your chocolates in the fridge or freezer. That way it takes you longer to eat one, which is presumably more satisfying (and I think they taste good cold). I have read that freezing for too long can ruin the taste, so maybe throw in a few at a time.

Any one else have ideas on getting your fix without going overboard?

2 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Those are some good ideas. Too bad I read this post after having my chocolate fix for this morning. (: We need to do our trial mix soon.

Jen said...

Great ideas! In fact, I followed it today as I was taking off the wrappers, I realized just how much I was eating and stopped!