Monday, November 24, 2008

Journal- Thoughts on Being Healthy

This is kind of a random, "what's been on my mind lately," (fitness-related of course) kind of post. So bear with me.

*I don't really give myself an option to work out. I really see it as mandatory, as if it was my job. Or feeding a baby. You don't really have a choice- you have to feed your baby. So working out is like feeding my baby; I have to do it. ;) But seriously, I think if you don't view exercise as an option, and you do it every day around the same time (choose a time that you'll always have open- or almost always), then I think you'll be more likely to do it. That's just my humble opinion.

*I like to read magazines while I'm on the elliptical. It keeps me entertained, especially for those days that I am really lacking energy or motivation. Maybe you listen to music? I do if my son isn't napping.

*Some days I really hate exercise (while I'm actually exercising). Other days I love it. And sometimes I get really bored with it. But I always feel good when I'm done.

*I feel really good about myself when I eat well. As I get older, that feeling is slowly starting to take hold. I am a much better eater than I was last year, and so on. I don't think you can switch overnight, but you can slowly incorporate more and more good foods into your diet, while getting rid of more bad ones. Right now I am trying to replace all white flour with wheat in my recipes. It doesn't make them all totally healthy- but they are better, and more filling. I'll only use white if I'm baking for a special occasion where I know people want to indulge.

*I put up a picture of myself from when I was in shape- it is a picture of me hiking. That picture reminds me of my goal. Some people put up pictures of them at their heaviest, as a reminder, but that doesn't work for me. It just makes me depressed. Seeing the "skinny me" makes me motivated (you may be the opposite).

*I know I talk a lot about how I want to *look* good, therefore I want to lose my baby weight, but I also want to feel good emotionally and be healthy. I also want my son to live an active lifestyle (so I need to be an example), and I want to be a part of it. I want to be able to run and play with him. But honestly, if it wasn't for the looking good part I don't think I would be as motivated to get in shape. Unless I was at the point where I was borderline diabetic or something. Just bein' honest.

Ok, that's enough of my rambling. Thanks for listening.

No comments: