Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Eat-Clean Diet - Review

For those of you who are interested, I decided to post a little review of the book. As promised, I purchased it for myself with my bday money. A good investment.

The book basically explains how, in order to see true changes, you have to throw out the idea of fad diets (I've always been against that crap), which usually restrict certain food groups, and make good eating habits a way of life- with ALL food groups. Its "restrictions" are: no sugar, little salt, no simple carbs. Also, it says you should eat 5-6 small meals a day to keep from crashing or feeling starving and going for junk food. Also, water is really important. So if you stick to shopping in the outer aisles of the store, with just a few exceptions for oatmeal and frozen or canned (in water) foods, you should be good. That's the gist of the diet.

I like how the book is divided up. It makes sense to my brain's style of organization. The back also has some really great recipes that I can't wait to try. I also want to pick up the accompanying cookbook, which I'm sure has plenty of other fantastic recipes.

Yesterday we went to the store and picked up the recommended clean eating pantry staples, as well as a good array of fruits and veggies. My cooking has always been pretty healthy, but this book is helping me to step it up a notch. I am learning that I can cook with more than just chicken. We got some good cuts of pork (avoid anything that's really marbled) and I'll probably use my salmon in more creative ways now. I am so excited!

1 comment:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

If you come across any good, easy recipes, let me know. I would love to try some out.