Thursday, February 12, 2009

Exercise on a Budget

While it is nice to have all the latest equipment, or even a membership to the nicest gym in town, it isn't necessary in order to stay in shape. If you are on a tighter budget this year, there are only a few things you need to make the most of your workouts.

1. A good pair of running shoes/cross trainers.
2. A set of hand weights (5 or 8 lbs. should do).
3. A yoga ball.
4. A flat bench would also be nice, but you can do without.

If you have a baby, I would add a jogging stroller to that list. No, you don't have to jog. Just walk if that's all you can do!

Also, before buying new weights, a stroller or a bench, check Craig's List first. Tons of people sell exercise equipment that they hardly used (or at least that looks hardly used). That's how I got my home gym, and we saved about $2000 by doing it that way. And my jogging stroller was a hand-me-down from a friend who now has two kids, and no use for a single stroller.

When I reach fitness goals, I like to treat myself to a new workout top or pair of yoga pants (no need to splurge all at once). For some reason, dressing in cute workout clothes motivates me to workout harder! Maybe it's because I feel like the buff ladies in those fitness DVDs. :)

No comments: