Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What's Your Resolution?

New Year's Resolutions are promises we make to do things (or not do things) that we should have been doing a long time ago. But no one is perfect, which is why the new year is the perfect time to work on improving ourselves. For many people, it feels like a fresh start. No, you don't have to wait until the new year to start to better yourself but, since it's just around the corner, why not take advantage of it?

I have a few resolutions for the new year. As far as health and fitness goals, they are as follows (some may be repeated from previous posts):

1) By the time my son is 9 months, I want to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight.

I think I can reach that goal, since I am less than ten pounds away from it, and I have a little over a month to reach that.

I can reach this goal by baking less and eating less junk food and continuing to exercise 5-6 days a week.

2) By my son's first birthday, I want to be settled into an all-over toning/ weight training routine.

Right now I have my favorite body parts to train, and I tend to neglect other areas.

I can reach this goal by starting slow. For instance, I don't like doing a lot of back toning because I'm always in pain afterwards. But if I choose one exercise that is fairly easy for me, and then slowly make my way up to the harder ones I think I can do it. Also, music helps me have more fun. So I need to get a good playlist going.


Those are my two main goals. I challenge you to write down your fitness goals, and set a date by which you want to reach that goal. Maybe it's to train for a marathon. Or maybe it's simply to be more active each day. Once you have your goals written out (Make sure they're realistic! Don't plan to lose 20 pounds in a month.), write down what you can do each day to help you achieve your goals. Don't make your list too long or overwhelming, or it will feel too much like a chore.

When you're finished with your list put it in plain sight, like on your refrigerator. I think we all look in the fridge at least twice a day, so that's a perfect spot. Plus, it will be a reminder when you reach for the junk food shelf. So, what are your goals?

**I am thinking of organizing some sort of contest with a prize involved, but not yet. Just something to keep in mind.

No comments: